My Favorite Substitutes & Coconut Flour Pancake Recipe
If you haven't already noticed, I love creating new recipes that transform "junk food" into healthier meals. I'm all for finding a way to make your favorite food better. By using more natural items, you're able to decrease calories, minimize sugar intake & substitute processed ingredients with pure ones.
Obviously if you're using anything but raw foods, you will be using something that has been processed in some way, but many options are better than others. The following are a few of my favorite items to substitute in my recipes along with the brands that I've found are most simply pure:
1. Dairy Milk > Unsweetened Almond Milk (Califia Farms Pure)
2. Peanut Butter > Organic Almond Butter OR Natural Peanut Butter (Once Again Natural)
3. White Flour > Coconut Flour (recipe below for pancakes!) (Nutiva)
4. Whey Protein Powder > Plant-Based Protein (Vega)
5. Any type of oil > Coconut Oil (Organika)
6. Chocolate > 75% & above Cacao Dark Chocolate & Powder (Navitas Naturals)
7. Cereal > Whole Grain Granola (Bear Naked or Nature's Path)
8. Dairy Ice Cream > Banana "Ice Cream" (homemade with blended frozen bananas!)
9. Sugar > Raw Honey (in Tea) Sugar > Pure Vanilla Extract (in Coffee)
10. Flavored Yogurt > Non-fat Plain Greek Yogurt - add your own vanilla extract! (Fage)
By simply substituting these popular items in your kitchen, you can be a few steps closer to healthier eating with less fat & less processed ingredients!
Now here's my personal Coconut Flour Pancake Recipe!
- 1 cup Coconut Flour
- 1.5 cups Almond Milk
- 1 egg (whisked)
- 1/2 banana (save other half to top pancakes with)
- 1 tbsp Almond Butter
- 2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- Handful dark chocolate chips (if desired)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Handful strawberries, washed & cut
- 1 tbsp Almond Butter or Peanut Butter
- 1/2 banana, sliced
- 1 tbsp Raw Honey
- Combine flour, almond milk, whisked egg, 1/2 banana (mashed), almond butter, vanilla & cinnamon in large bowl or food processor. Blend until batter texture.
- Hand mix-in chocolate chips
- Heat pan on stove, add coconut oil to prevent sticking
- Spoon batter onto pan in desired shape & size
- Carefully flip when bottom of pancake is browned & cooked
- Top with strawberries, almond/peanut butter, bananas & honey. Enjoy!