Fall Comfort: Twice Baked Spaghetti Squash & Meatballs
Oh goodness you guys this is a new favorite! I have made spaghetti squash before & have always enjoyed it... but a few days ago a co-worker suggested baking it twice & this is a GAME CHANGER!
It's super simple, just takes a long time due to the baking time, but not very much prep or work... just start this one a little earlier so you're not eating dinner at 9pm haha. Unless you like to do that, well then all power to ya!
- 1 small spaghetti squash
- Choice of ground meat for meatballs (I used turkey)
- Organic Pasta Sauce (the less ingredients, the better...I found a local one I loved)
- 1/2 small onion
- parmesan (preferably a block so you can freshly grate it yourself!)
- 3 tbsp grass-fed butter
- salt, pepper, garlic powder, olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 deg F. Line 2 baking sheets with foil & generously spread olive oil on both of them.
- CAREFULLY slice the spaghetti squash in half, long ways. I recommend using a large knife & taking it slow... some squashes are harder than others.
- Use a spoon to scoop out the insides of the squash & place the squash inside facing down on the foil with olive oil. Place in oven & set timer for 30 minutes.
- Place ground meat in a bowl. Chop onion & mix it in with the meat in the bowl, adding 1-2 tsp salt while mixing in.
- Shape small meatballs & place on the other baking sheet. Spread the meatballs apart every 1-2 inches. Place in oven & set timer for 20 minutes.
- When the squash is soft (may take longer than the initial 30 minutes), use a fork to scrape the inside of the squash until it is full of stringy spaghetti like pieces. Add butter & garlic powder into the squash until butter is melted. Add cooked meatballs & some sauce, mix all together & grate parmesan on top.
- Once each of the squash halves have meatballs, sauce & cheese, place back on the sheet, face up & bake for another 10 minutes. This adds a crispiness to the top layer & it is DELICIOUS!
- Scoop out & serve. Enjoy!!